The back-to-back mass shootings in California have brought a wave of grief, tragedy and loss affecting so many people. As these traumatic incidents can trigger strong emotional responses in the days, weeks and months ahead, here is some information addressing specific regional support available, as well as resources for mental health support, talking to children, coping with trauma and crisis preparedness.
Resources for Monterey, CA
A Survivors Resource Center has been established at Monterey Park’s Langley Senior Center at 400 N. Emerson Ave., Monterey Park, CA 91754. There are mental health resources available for anyone who needs support.
Resources for Half Moon Bay, CA
A family reunification center has been set up at the IDES Hall, 735 Main Street, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019.
Mental Health Resources
- Coping with Traumatic Events
- Traumatic Incidents: The Aftermath
- Coping in the Aftermath of a Shooting | American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Managing Your Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting | American Psychological Association (APA)
- Coping with Stress Following a Mass Shooting | Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress (CSTS)
Resources for Parents
- Helping Children Cope with Traumatic Events and Emergencies
- How to Talk with Kids About Tragedies & Other Traumatic News Events | American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting | APA
- How to Talk to Children About Difficult News | APA
- Restoring a Sense of Safety in the Aftermath of a Mass Shooting: Tips for Parents and Professionals | CSTS
Active Shooter Preparedness
- Be Prepared for an Active Shooter | FEMA.Gov
- Active Shooter Preparedness | CISA.Gov
- Attacks in Crowded and Public Spaces | Ready.Gov
- Monterey Park Shooting: How to Help | GoFundMe
- Financial donations for the Half Moon Bay shooting are being accepted by ALAS (Ayudando Latinos A Sonar) and can be made at www.alasdreams.com.
- The American Red Cross stresses the need for blood donations, not just for the responsiveness of this situation, but for the readiness of others.
For any members looking for personalized support through your assistance program, visit our member support page or reach out to your assistance program directly anytime.